CFR's Nigeria Security Tracker Weekly Update: April 16-22, 2022
This update represents violence in Nigeria and related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger from April 16 to April 22, 2022.
Blog Post by Michelle GavinApril 25, 2022 11:41 am (EST)
Below is a visualization and description of some of the most significant incidents of political violence in Nigeria from April 16 to April 22, 2022. This update also represents violence related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. These incidents are included in the Nigeria Security Tracker.
- April 16: Bandits killed two in Kaura, Kaduna.
- April 16: Bandits killed 1 police officer and two others, and kidnapped "many" (estimated at twenty) in Shiroro, Niger.
- April 16: The army killed 3 bandits in Ukum, Benue.
- April 16: The Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF) killed 100 Boko Haram militants in and around Abadam, Borno.
- April 17: Nigerian troops killed one Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) member in Orlu, Imo.
- April 17: Bandits killed four and kidnapped four in Kajuru, Kaduna.
- April 18: Kidnappers abducted five in Aguata, Anambra.
- April 18: Islamic State in West Africa (ISWA) killed two soldiers and one police officer in Molai, Borno.
- April 18: Bandits killed three hostages in Dutse, Kaduna.
- April 19: Boko Haram/ISWA killed sixteen in a bombing in Ardo-Kola, Taraba.
- April 19: Suspected herdsmen killed two in Bassa, Plateau.
- April 19: Soldiers killed twenty-seven Boko Haram/ISWA militants while one soldier was killed in Kukawa, Borno.
- April 19: Kidnappers killed one and abducted three in Jos, Plateau.
- April 19: A clash between Boko Haram and ISWA factions resulted in the deaths of thirty-four militants from both sides in Damboa, Borno.
- April 19: Nigerian troops repelled a bandit attack in Bakura, Zamfara, killing "some" (estimated at ten) bandits while one civilian also died.
- April 20: Bandits killed three and kidnapped "several" (estimated at five) in Malumfashi, Katsina.
- April 20: Communal violence led to five deaths in Ibeno, Akwa Ibom.
- April 20: Kidnappers abducted four in Kuje, FCT.
- April 20: Boko Haram/ISWA killed seventeen in Damaturu, Yobe.
- April 20: Bandits kidnapped approximately twenty on the road in Mopa-Muro, Kogi.
- April 20: Communal violence led to three deaths in Uhunmwonde, Edo.
- April 20: Communal violence led to three deaths in Ede, Ogun.
- April 20: Bandits killed twelve in Illela, Sokoto.
- April 21: Police officers killed two bandits in Kafur, Katsina.
- April 21: Herdsmen killed eight in Kwande Local Government Area (LGA) and fourteen in Gwer West LGA in Benue.
- April 22: Gunmen killed three police officers during an attack on a police station in Adavi, Kogi.
- April 22: Another Boko Haram/ISWA bombing injured many in Jalingo, Taraba.