CFR's Nigeria Security Tracker Weekly Update: August 13-19, 2022
This update represents violence in Nigeria and related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger from August 13 to August 19, 2022.
Blog Post by CFR Africa ProgramAugust 22, 2022 1:56 pm (EST)
Below is a visualization and description of some of the most significant incidents of political violence in Nigeria from August 13 to August 19, 2022. This update also represents violence related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. These incidents are included in the Nigeria Security Tracker.
- August 13: The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) killed "scores" (est. at forty) of Boko Haram militants in Shiroro, Niger State.
- August 13: Gunmen killed one teacher in Nassarawa Egon, Nassarawa.
- August 14: Kidnappers abducted one from a church in Gassol, Taraba.
- August 14: Police officers killed five kidnappers in Akoko-Edo, Edo.
- August 14: Bandits kidnapped one Catholic priest in Umu-Nneochi, Abia.
- August 14: Bandits killed one and abducted one in Igalamela-Odolu, Kogi.
- August 14: Nigerian troops killed four Islamic State in West Africa (ISWA) militants in Monguno, Borno.
- August 15 Police officers killed "many" (est. at ten) gunmen in Kurfi, Katsina.
- August 15: Kidnappers abducted ten in Ekiti, Kwara.
- August 15: Kidnappers abducted a commissioner in Nassarawa Egon, Nassarawa.
- August 16: Gunmen killed one in Mbaitoli, Imo.
- August 16: Security operatives killed two kidnappers in Idah, Kogi.
- August 17: One soldier and two gunmen were killed during a clash in Ohafia, Abia.
- August 17: ISWA kidnapped six farmers in Mafa, Borno.
- August 17: One police officer and one gunman were killed during an attack on a police checkpoint in Abakaliki, Ebonyi.
- August 18: Bandits killed one lawyer in Gusau, Zamfara.
- August 19: Police officers killed "several" (est. at ten) bandits in Kurfi, Katsina.
- August 19: Soldiers killed an Islamic cleric in Karasuwa, Yobe.
- August 19: Kidnappers killed one and kidnapped three in Owerri Local Government Area (LGA) and kidnapped another two in Isiala Mbano LGA in Imo.