CFR's Nigeria Security Tracker Weekly Update: August 27-September 2, 2022
This update represents violence in Nigeria and related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger from August 27 to September 2, 2022.
Blog Post by CFR Africa ProgramSeptember 8, 2022 1:01 pm (EST)
Below is a visualization and description of some of the most significant incidents of political violence in Nigeria from August 27 to September 2, 2022. This update also represents violence related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. These incidents are included in the Nigeria Security Tracker.
- August 27: Gunmen killed one in Riyom, Plateau.
- August 27: Gunmen killed two in Mangu, Plateau.
- August 27: Gunmen killed a National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) member in Yola South, Adamawa.
- August 27: Bandits killed one and abducted seven in Bakori, Katsina.
- August 28: Suspected cultists killed one in Kosofe, Lagos.
- August 28: Communal violence led to one death in Yagba West, Kogi.
- August 29: Soldiers killed one bandit in Birnin-Gwari, Kaduna.
- August 29: Police officers killed two kidnappers while one vigilante was also killed in Toro, Bauchi.
- August 30: Communal violence led to two deaths in Bassa, Kogi.
- August 30: Soldiers killed two Eastern Security Network (ESN) members and one civilian in Orsu, Imo.
- August 30: Military airstrikes killed fourteen bandits in Igabi, Kaduna.
- August 30: Kidnappers abducted two in Ilorin, Kwara.
- August 30: Military airstrikes killed twenty Boko Haram/ Islamic State in West Africa (ISWA) militants in Bama, Borno.
- August 31: Military airstrikes killed twenty-nine Boko Haram/ISWA militants in Bama, Borno.
- August 31: Two soldiers and "several" (est. at ten) bandits were killed during a clash in Jibia, Katsina.
- August 31: Troops killed two bandits in Birnin-Gwari, Kaduna.
- September 1: Military airstrikes killed 150 Boko Haram/ISWA militants in Bama, Borno.
- September 1: Communal violence led to six deaths in Guma, Benue.
- September 2: Bandits kidnapped "scores" (est. at forty) from a mosque in Bukkuyum, Zamfara.
- September 2: Pirates killed five in Degema, Rivers.
- September 2: Boko Haram killed four in Askira-Uba, Borno.