CFR's Nigeria Security Tracker Weekly Update: February 12–18, 2022
This update represents violence in Nigeria and related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger from February 12 to February 18, 2022.
Blog Post by Michelle GavinFebruary 22, 2022 11:36 am (EST)
Below is a visualization and description of some of the most significant incidents of political violence in Nigeria from February 12 to February 18, 2022. This update also represents violence related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. These incidents are included in the Nigeria Security Tracker.
- February 12: Gunmen killed five police officers in Enugu, Enugu.
- February 12: Electoral violence led to one death in Abuja, Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
- February 12: Police officers killed "several" (estimated at ten) bandits in Magama, Niger State.
- February 12: One smuggler was killed during a clash with customs agents in Abeokuta, Ogun.
- February 12: Security agents killed one bandit in Giwa, Kaduna.
- February 12: Police and hunters killed two kidnappers in Lokoja, Kogi.
- February 13: Four gunmen and two civilians were killed during a clash between the gunmen and security operatives in Aguata, Anambra.
- February 13: Gunmen killed a Peoples Democratic Party chieftan in Uyo, Akwa Ibom.
- February 13: Nigerian airstrikes killed five Islamic State in West Africa (ISWA) militants in Kukawa, Borno.
- February 14: Bandits abducted three in Gusau, Zamfara.
- February 14: Gunmen killed three and kidnapped ten at a train station in Ajaokuta, Kogi.
- February 14: Gunmen killed three police officers in Ishielu, Ebonyi.
- February 14: Bandits killed three and kidnapped seventeen in Tureta, Sokoto.
- February 14: An ISWA landmine killed six in Ngala, Borno.
- February 14: Bandits killed two and kidnapped fourteen in Kajuru, Kaduna.
- February 15: Gunmen killed eight at a cattle market in Ukwa West, Abia.
- February 15: Gunmen killed four in Jos North, Plateau.
- February 15: Nigerian troops destroyed bandit camps, killing one bandit, in Tsafe, Zamfara.
- February 15: Military airstrikes killed forty-two bandits in Jibia, Katsina.
- February 16: Bandits kidnapped twenty-two in Kajuru, Kaduna.
- February 16: Police officers killed two bandits in Kankara, Katsina.
- February 16: Kidnappers killed one and kidnapped an Abuja prince in Kuje, FCT.
- February 17: Herdsmen killed five in Gwer West, Benue.
- February 17: Bandits kidnapped eight in Karim-Lamido, Taraba.
- February 18: A Nigerian airstrike accidentally killed seven children in Maradi, Niger.
- February 18: Bandits killed eighteen in Anaka, Zamfara.