CFR's Nigeria Security Tracker Weekly Update: July 16-22, 2022
This update represents violence in Nigeria and related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger from July 16 to July 22, 2022.
Blog Post by Michelle GavinJuly 26, 2022 9:20 am (EST)
Below is a visualization and description of some of the most significant incidents of political violence in Nigeria from July 16 to July 22, 2022. This update also represents violence related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. These incidents are included in the Nigeria Security Tracker.
- July 16: Kidnappers abducted a Niger Delta Development Commission official in Obowo, Imo.
- July 17: Bandits killed two soldiers in Wase, Plateau.
- July 17: Kidnappers abducted four in Awka South, Anambra.
- July 17: Ebubeagu security operatives killed seven civilians in Oru West, Imo.
- July 17: Bandits abducted nine in Dutsin-Ma, Katsina.
- July 17: Gunmen killed two and kidnapped one in Igbo-Eze South, Enugu.
- July 17: Bandits kidnapped eight in Igabi, Kaduna.
- July 17: Nigerian troops killed two bandits in Jibia, Katsina.
- July 17: Bandits killed one in Birnin-Gwari, Kaduna.
- July 18: Boko Haram/Islamic State in West Africa (ISWA) militants killed a vigilante chairman and "others" (est. at ten total) in Gubio, Borno.
- July 18: Herdsmen kidnapped fifteen in Isi-Uzo, Enugu.
- July 18: Nigerian troops killed "several" bandits (est. at ten) in Munya, Niger State.
- July 19: Bandits killed six in Faskari, Katsina.
- July 19: Nigerian troops killed one bandit n Chikun, Kaduna.
- July 20: Bandits killed five police officers and three civilians in Kankara, Katsina.
- July 21: Gunmen killed five in Jos East, Plateau.
- July 21: Bandits killed three Ansaru militants during a clash in Safana, Katsina.
- July 21: Herdsmen killed nine in Takum, Taraba.
- July 22: Gunmen killed five and kidnapped fifty in Munya, Nier.
- July 22: Kidnappers abducted three in Ovia North-East, Edo.
- July 22: Bandits kidnapped six in Birnin-Gwari, Kaduna.
- July 22: Gunmen assassinated a Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftain in Yenegoa, Bayelsa.