CFR's Nigeria Security Tracker Weekly Update: June 11-June 17, 2022
This update represents violence in Nigeria and related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger from June 11 to June 17, 2022.
Blog Post by Michelle GavinJune 21, 2022 10:31 am (EST)
Below is a visualization and description of some of the most significant incidents of political violence in Nigeria from June 11 to June 17, 2022. This update also represents violence related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. These incidents are included in the Nigeria Security Tracker.
- June 11: Kidnappers abducted fifteen in Isu, Imo.
- June 11: Bandits abducted fifty in Tureta, Sokoto.
- June 11: A clash between All Progressives Congress (APC) and Social Democratic Party (SDP) supporters resulted in one death in Oye, Ekiti.
- June 11: Kidnappers abducted four in Ose, Ondo.
- June 12: Bandits abducted three in Atiba, Oyo.
- June 12: Sectarian violence led to thirty-seven deaths in Okpokwu, Benue.
- June 12: Nigerian troops killed forty-seven Boko Haram militants; two Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) were also killed in the crossfire in Bama, Borno.
- June 13: Kidnappers abducted two from a church in Ewekoro, Ogun.
- June 13: Security agents killed one bandit in Chikun, Kaduna.
- June 13: Pirates abducted eight from a boat in Brass, Bayelsa.
- June 13: Herdsmen killed two in Isi-Uzo, Enugu.
- June 13: Gunmen killed two in Onitsha, Anambra.
- June 14: Gunmen killed two in Aba, Abia.
- June 14: Gunmen killed two in Igbo-Eze, Enugu.
- June 14: Herdsmen killed five in Isi-Uzo, Enugu.
- June 14: Kidnappers abducted eight in Katsina, Katsina.
- June 14: Kidnappers abducted one journalist in Umuahia, Abia.
- June 14: Bandits killed thirty while eight bandits were also killed in Danko Wasegu, Kebbi.
- June 15: Herdsmen killed one in Isi-Uzo, Enugu.
- June 15: Bandits killed one army officer in Mariga, Niger.
- June 15: Police officers killed four bandits in Lere, Kaduna.
- June 16: Bandits killed three and kidnapped thirty in Rafi, Niger.
- June 16: Herdsmen killed two in Ogbadibo, Benue.
- June 16: Bandits kidnapped an "unspecified" number (est. at ten) in Zurmi, Zamfara.
- June 16: Bandits killed four in Alkaleri, Bauchi.
- June 16: Gunmen killed five in Orlu, Imo.
- June 16: Boko Haram/Islamic State in West Africa (ISWA) militants fired mortar bombs into an internally displaced persons (IDP) camp and killed eleven in Bama, Borno.
- June 17: A clash between Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) militants and other gunmen resulted in five deaths in Ihiala, Anambra.
- June 17: Gunmen killed one police officer in Nsukka, Enugu.
- June 17: ISWA kidnapped three humanitarian workers and killed three CJTF in Monguno, Borno.