CFR's Nigeria Security Tracker Weekly Update: May 21-27, 2022
This update represents violence in Nigeria and related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger from May 21 to May 27, 2022.
Blog Post by Michelle GavinJune 2, 2022 12:00 pm (EST)
Below is a visualization and description of some of the most significant incidents of political violence in Nigeria from May 21 to May 27, 2022. This update also represents violence related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. These incidents are included in the Nigeria Security Tracker.
- May 21: Kidnappers abducted one in Nnewi South, Anambra.
- May 21: Bandits killed eleven in Talata-Mafara, Zamfara.
- May 21: Police officers killed ten kidnappers in Ndokwa West, Delta.
- May 21: Kidnappers abducted two in Ose, Ondo.
- May 21: The NAF killed "scores" (estimated at forty) of Boko Haram militants in Damboa, Borno.
- May 22: Boko Haram killed sixty in Kala Balge Local Government Area (LGA) while hunters killed two Boko Haram militants in Konduga LGA in Borno.
- May 22: Boko Haram killed two police officers in Kaga, Borno.
- May 22: Gunmen killed five in Orumba North LGA, killed two in Idemili North LGA, and burned a police station in Ayamelum LGA in Anambra.
- May 22: Electoral violence resulted in one death in Ogbia, Bayelsa.
- May 22: Six militants were killed during a clash between Boko Haram and Islamic State in West Africa factions in Damboa, Borno.
- May 22: Electoral violence resulted in the death of one police officer in Obudu, Cross River.
- May 23: Police officers killed one bandit in Kauru, Kaduna.
- May 23: Bandits killed twelve in Jibia, Katsina.
- May 24: Soldiers killed three kidnappers in Ukum, Benue.
- May 25: Electoral violence led to the deaths of three People’s Democratic Party delegates in Mariga, Niger.
- May 25: Kidnappers abducted a foreigner, killing one soldier and the driver in the process in Owo, Ondo.
- May 25: Kidnappers abducted two priests and two others from a church in Kafur, Katsina.
- May 25: Gunmen killed two in Okene, Kogi.
- May 26: Kidnappers abducted one and killed one in Adavi, Kogi.
- May 27: Electoral violence led to three deaths in Alimosho, Lagos.
- May 27: Electoral violence led to one death in Calabar, Cross River.