CFR's Nigeria Security Tracker Weekly Update, August 6 - 12, 2022
This update represents violence in Nigeria and related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger from August 6 to August 12, 2022.
Blog Post by CFR Africa ProgramAugust 15, 2022 2:54 pm (EST)
Below is a visualization and description of some of the most significant incidents of political violence in Nigeria from August 6 to August 12, 2022. This update also represents violence related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. These incidents are included in the Nigeria Security Tracker.
- August 6: Gunmen killed four police officers during an attack on a police station in Oguta, Imo.
- August 6: Police officers killed three robbers during a gunfight in Ajeromi/Ifelodun, Lagos.
- August 7: The Nigerian Air Force killed twenty-eight bandits in Safana, Katsina.
- August 7: Soldiers killed eight bandits in Wase, Plateau.
- August 7: Bandits killed one and abducted two in Katsina, Katsina.
- August 7: Bandits killed three and abducted an "unspecified" number (est. at ten) in Bali, Taraba.
- August 7: Bandits killed one and abducted five in Lapai, Niger State.
- August 7: Kidnappers abducted three in Kankiya, Katsina.
- August 7: Kidnappers killed one police officer and abducted one from a bar in Abeokuta, Ogun.
- August 8: Security agents killed six Shiites during an Ashura procession in Zaria, Kaduna.
- August 8: A cult clash resulted in four deaths in Ilorin, Kwara.
- August 8: The Nigerian Air Force killed eighteen bandits in Birnin-Gwari, Kaduna.
- August 8: Soldiers killed four Boko Haram militants in Bama, Borno.
- August 8: ISWAP killed one police officer in Konduga, Borno.
- August 9: Gunmen killed one immigration officer in Biriniwa, Jigawa.
- August 9: Bandits killed one and abducted five in Giwa, Kaduna.
- August 10: Herders killed six in Logo, Benue.
- August 10: Kidnappers abducted one police divisional crime officer (DCO) in Umunneochi, Abia.
- August 11: Herders killed one in Oyi, Anambra.
- August 12: Communal violence led to six deaths in Irepodun, Kwara.
- August 12: Bandits killed thirteen civilians while vigilantes fought back and killed six of the bandits in Gassol, Taraba.
- August 12: Kidnappers abducted six female footballers in Orhionmwon, Edo.
- August 12: Nigerian troops killed "scores" (est. at forty) of bandits in Chikun, Kaduna.