CFR's Nigeria Security Tracker Weekly Update January 8-14
This update represents violence in Nigeria and related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger from January 8 to January 14, 2022.
Below is a visualization and description of some of the most significant incidents of political violence in Nigeria from January 8 to January 14, 2022. This update also represents violence related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. These incidents are included in the Nigeria Security Tracker.
- January 8: Kidnappers killed one and kidnapped five in Ibadan, Oyo.
- January 8: Gunmen killed one Ebubeagu operative in Ikwo, Ebonyi.
- January 8–January 9: Kidnappers abducted one in Ehime-Mbano Local Government Area (LGA), one in Owerri LGA, one in Mbaitoli LGA, one in Unuimo LGA, and one in Isiala-Mbano LGA in Imo.
- January 9: Nigerian troops killed five bandits during a clash in Giwa, Kaduna.
- January 10: Suspected bandits killed one and kidnapped ten in Chikun, Kaduna.
- January 10: Bandits killed three in Riyom, Plateau.
- January 10: Herdsmen killed five in Ose, Ondo.
- January 10: Nigerian troops killed "scores" (estimated at forty) of Boko Haram militants in Konduga, Borno.
- January 10: Boko Haram killed two civilian workers at the Tukur Buratai War Institute in Biu, Borno.
- January 10: Bandits kidnapped six in Anka LGA and six in Maru LGA in Zamfara.
- January 11: Gunmen killed one police officer in Akoko South-West, Ondo.
- January 11: Bandits killed eighteen in Bassa, Plateau.
- January 11: Bandits killed forty vigilantes in Gassol, Taraba.
- January 11: Kidnappers abducted a "bus-load" of people (estimated at ten) in Isiala-Mbano, Imo.
- January 12: Kidnappers abducted "several" people (estimated at ten) in Birnin-Gwari, Kaduna.
- January 12: Bandits kidnapped nine in Zaria, Kaduna.
- January 12: Gunmen killed thirty-four and kidnapped three in Shiroro, Niger State.
- January 12: Kidnappers abducted three students in Barkin Ladi, Plateau.
- January 13: Kidnappers abducted four students in Lafia, Nassarawa.
- January 13: Sectarian violence led to five deaths in Imeko-Afon, Ogun.
- January 13: Customs officers killed one civilian child in Egbado South, Ogun.
- January 13: Police officers repelled a Boko Haram attack on a police training college in Gwoza, Borno; no casualties were reported.
- January 14: Gunmen killed one police officer in Oru West, Imo.
- January 14: Boko Haram/Islamic State in West Africa killed four and kidnapped "many" (estimated at ten) in Chibok, Borno.
- January 14: Nigerian troops killed three bandits in Chikun, Kaduna.