CFR's Nigeria Security Tracker Weekly Update: February 5 -11, 2022
This update represents violence in Nigeria and related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger from February 5 to February 11, 2022.
Blog Post by Michelle GavinFebruary 14, 2022 12:47 pm (EST)
Below is a visualization and description of some of the most significant incidents of political violence in Nigeria from February 5 to February 11, 2022. This update also represents violence related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. These incidents are included in the Nigeria Security Tracker.
- February 5: Bandits killed twenty-seven and kidnapped sixteen in Shiroro Local Government Area (LGA) and killed seventeen and kidnapped fifteen in Munya LGA in Niger State.
- February 6: Bandits kidnapped a priest and killed one other in Kauru, Kaduna.
- February 6: Police repelled an attack on a police station in Okene, Kogi, killing one of the assailants.
- February 7: Kidnappers abducted one and kidnapped two in Etsako West, Edo.
- February 7: Bandits killed ten and kidnapped one in Bakori LGA and killed three and kidnapped fourteen in Funtua LGA in Katsina.
- February 7: Kidnappers abducted two in Bogoro, Bauchi.
- February 7: Police officers killed three Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) militants in Njaba, Imo.
- February 8: A bandit who escaped from prison killed eight in Ohaji/Egbema, Imo.
- February 8: Bandits kidnapped one and killed one divisional police officer, one soldier, and one other in Jibia, Katsina.
- February 8: Bandits killed seven in Zangon Kataf, Kaduna.
- February 8: Nigerian troops killed four IPOB militants in Ihiala, Anambra.
- February 9: Gunmen killed three in Mariga, Niger State.
- February 9: Suspected herdsmen killed one in Guma, Benue.
- February 9: The Nigerian Air Force killed thirty-seven bandits in Magama, Niger State.
- February 10: Robbers attacked a bullion van, killing three police officers and four others in Ibadan, Oyo.
- February 10: Gunmen killed three police officers and kidnapped two civilians in Enugu LGA and killed one customs officer in Nkanu West LGA in Enugu.
- January 20–February 10: Nigerian troops killed 120 Boko Haram/Islamic State in West Africa (ISWA) militants (sixty-five already accounted for) in Borno.
- February 10: Bandits killed six in Bakura, Zamfara.
- February 10: Police officers killed five bandits in Matazu, Katsina.
- February 10: Nigerian troops killed twenty bandits in Birnin-Gwari, Kaduna.
- February 11: Kidnappers abducted four in Sabon Gari, Kaduna.
- February 11: Gunmen assassinated a senior government official in Igabi, Kaduna.
- February 11: Bandits killed eight and kidnapped twenty-nine in Bungudu, Zamfara.
- February 11: Bandits killed two in Zangon Kataf, Kaduna.