DR Congo: Uganda now says 'Operation Shujaa' has not been halted
KAMPALA - The Ministry of Defence and Veteran Affairs on Friday said operation Shujaa was still ongoing and the joint forces of Uganda Peoples Defence Forces and the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (FARDC) would continue to hunt down the ADF terrorists.
Defence Spokesperson Brig. Gen. Felix Kulayigye in a statement refuted allegations that they had halted operations in DRC and apologized for his earlier statement.
“This is to put it clear that the operation Shujaa is still ongoing we as continue to hunt down the ADF terrorists. We congratulate our General officers and men in operation Shujaa for the achievements so far and for successfully defending our territorial integrity,” Kulayigye stated.
On Thursday Commander of Land Forces, Lt. Gen. Muhoozi Kainerugaba had tweeted indicating that President Yoweri Museveni had paused activities of Operation Shujaa in eastern Congo until further notice.
“President Museveni has instructed me and all UPDF forces to hold all our positions in the DRC! We shall do exactly that! Absolutely no movements of any troops throughout Operation Shujaa until further notice! Furthermore, we await the final declaration by Chairman Uhuru,” Muhoozi said in a tweet MORE
Uganda halts Congo military operationsFriday, June 17, 2022
What you need to know:
- The pause of the mission to eliminate Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) rebels, which President Museveni has billed as “successful”, comes in the wake of rising tensions between Uganda and Kinshasa over the former’s alleged support to M23 rebels that captured Bunagana town on Monday.
Uganda has halted the joint military mission with the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), code-named Operation Shujaa, which began at the end of last November to eliminate Allied Democratic Force (ADF) rebels and other subversive elements.
UPDF spokesperson, Brig Felix Kulayigye, last night confirmed that the operation that President Museveni, the commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces, yesterday separately billed as “successful” in an address to senior commanders in Fort Portal, had been paused.
“The [UPDF military] activities have been halted and it will resume when the authorities decide and this follows what was discussed during the East African summit,” he said.
The decision follows two days of demonstrations by Congolese nationals against Uganda and Rwanda, mainly in the eastern DRC commercial city of Goma, on allegations of supporting M23 rebels whose fighters captured Congo-side Bunagana town on Monday, this week, following a lightning advance.
This is the second time the insurgents have seized Bunagana this year, the first at the end of March, but UPDF soldiers from the 25th and 35th battalions at the time swiftly chased them and restored control to Congolese authorities MORE