CFR's Nigeria Security Tracker Weekly Update: March 5–11
This update represents violence in Nigeria and related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger from March 5 to March 11, 2022.
Blog Post by Michelle GavinMarch 15, 2022 3:48 pm (EST)
Below is a visualization and description of some of the most significant incidents of political violence in Nigeria from March 5 to March 11, 2022. This update also represents violence related to Boko Haram in Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. These incidents are included in the Nigeria Security Tracker.
- March 5: Gunmen killed two in Lokoja, Kogi.
- March 5: Vigilance members killed one soldier in Emuoha, Rivers.
- March 5: Electoral violence led to four deaths in Rano, Kano.
- March 5: A Department of State Services operative killed one soldier in Lekki, Lagos.
- March 6: Nigerian troops killed seventeen Boko Haram militants in Mobbar, Borno.
- March 6: Bandits killed sixty-three vigilantes in Sakaba, Kebbi.
- March 7: Gunmen killed five and kidnapped eight in Munya, Niger State.
- March 7: Soldiers killed two civilians during a communal clash in Obubra, Cross River.
- March 8: Herdsmen killed twenty-six in Donga, Taraba.
- March 8: Attackers killed an Ogun traditional ruler in Abeokuta North, Ogun.
- March 8: Bandits killed two and kidnapped a priest and four others in Kaduna South, Kaduna.
- March 8: Bandits killed nineteen security agents in Danko Wasagu, Kebbi.
- March 8: Herdsmen killed five in Guma, Benue.
- March 8: Kidnappers abducted two in Egbado North, Ogun.
- March 8: National Drug Law Enforcement Agency officers killed two smugglers in Jalingo, Taraba.
- March 9: Gunmen killed two vigilantes in Obi Ngwa, Abia.
- March 10: Herdsmen killed eight in Guma, Benue.
- March 10: Bandits killed three and kidnapped two in Chikun, Kaduna.
- March 10: Bandits attacked a mosque and kidnapped twenty-four in Giwa, Kaduna.
- March 10: Soldiers accidentally killed two civilians in Giwa, Kaduna.
- March 11: Bandits kidnapped eleven in Jibia, Katsina.
- March 11: Police officers killed three bandits in Kankara, Katsina.
- March 11: Bandits killed one and kidnapped an "unspecified number" (estimated at five) in Munya, Niger State.
- March 11: Gunmen attacked a burial event and kidnapped one in Nnewi South, Anambra.